Commercial photography permits

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on email
Share on print

The quick definition of commercial is that you plan to sell the photo.  You can be a professional photographer and shoot Antelope Canyon with no intention of selling the photographs.

For Lower Antelope, all you need to bring is a tripod and they will consider you a photographer. (You get an extra hour in the canyon for no additional cost.)

Here’s an excerpt from the Navajo Parks page

Requests for commercial filming and photography in areas under the authority of the Navajo Parks and Recreation Department are received regularly.  The purpose of these Commercial Filming and Photography Policy and Procedures is to establish guidelines to be followed in the application for, review, approval/disapproval, of commercial filming and photography permits.

Navajo Parks and Recreation Department shall allow commercial filming and photography in tribal parks, recreation areas and monument only in a manner consistent with these policies and procedures.

Navajo Parks and Recreation Department, has the authority to issue filming permits in tribal park areas pursuant to Government Services Committee resolution GSCJY-18-04, Section IV. J.

These policies and procedures apply within tribal parks, recreation areas, monuments and other areas under the authority and supervision of the Navajo Parks and Recreation Department.  The policy and procedures also apply specifically to filming and photography undertaken for commercial purposes, i.e. for financial gain or public display and exhibition.

  • $50.00 Processing Fee for applications that have all the required information for one person. ($25.00 additional Processing Fee that involves photocopying for more than one person or requests for additional documentation or revisions)
  • $100.00 Processing Fee for weddings, film companies or photography workshops that involve five or more people
  • $200.00 Processing Fee for all “After-the-Fact” requests for Special Use Permits.

Here’s a copy of the photography permit application


17 Responses

  1. I will be at Monument Valley on one day and Antelope Canyon on another taking still pictures. Don’t plan on selling anything but to be safe, I would like to purchase a permit. At monument valley I am staying at the motel and driving through and taking landscape shots, however at Antelope Canyon I am on a photo tour. My question is this: So that I get it right on the first submission, do I need a vehicle permit for Monument Valley or will my standard park entrance fee be enough, and for antelope canyon it is my understanding that my entrance fee was paid with my reservation so is my only fee for there the $50 fee. So, would I be correct in assuming to take just still photos, the $50 for each location is the correct fee? Thanks in advance

    1. Hi Bill,
      First off, we do not recommend driving your own vehicle in Monument Valley, especially if it’s a rental car. The 17-mile scenic loop road is unpaved, and constitutes off-road driving. If you sustain any damage in a rental car, your insurance policy will be voided, and you will be on the hook for the repair bills. Splurging for a guided tour, while it may be more expensive, will definitely be safer, and will get you to areas of Monument Valley that would be off-limits to you otherwise! Click here for a complete list of Monument Valley Tour Guides licensed by the Navajo Tribal Park authority
      Regarding commercial photography permits, per the Navajo Parks & Rec website, a $50 Processing Fee for applications that have all the required information for one person. $25 additional Processing Fee that involves photocopying for more than one person or requests for additional documentation or revisions. Additional fees apply depending on what kind of vehicle you’re driving may apply as well. For complete information on this, click on the Navajo Parks & Recreation Department’s Commercial Photography Permit Application.
      Good luck and safe travels,
      Alley 🙂

  2. Hi my name is Andy, i just wanted to know if we are allowed to bring a small foldable Selfie Stick to take pictures with your celphone for souveneir shots. Do i need to have a permit just to take pictures.

    1. Hi Andy,
      At the moment, mono-pods and selfie sticks are allowed on general sightseeing tours of Antelope Canyon. Tripods are only allowed on tours designated as photography tours. If your photos are just going to be circulated amongst family and friends on social media and e-mail, and not sold to media outlets or art galleries for profit, then you do not need a commercial photography permit. Your tour reservation is your “permit.”
      Hope that clears things up sufficiently.
      Good luck and safe travels,
      Alley 🙂

  3. I am planning to go on a tour of upper and lower antelope canyon, In the information it says no bags of any kind. can I carry my camera and trekking pole?

    1. Hi Lori,
      Camera, yes (around your neck), trekking pole, no. In Antelope Canyon, you shouldn’t need a trekking pole anyway.
      Have fun,
      Alley 🙂

  4. My husband is a professional photographer and we want to take our own kids Senior Pictures in the Canyon. We will bring photography equipment like a professional shoot but since we are not selling the images (as they are our own kids) what kind of permit and processing fees do we need to submit?

    1. Hi Jennifer,
      You will need to contact the individual tour companies to ascertain what they will require for a photo shoot of this nature.
      For Lower Antelope Canyon, the tour companies are:
      Ken’s Lower Antelope Canyon Tours (928) 606-2168 and Dixie Ellis’ Antelope Lower Canyon Tours (928) 640-1761
      For Upper Antelope Canyon, contact:
      Chief Tsosie’s Antelope Slot Canyon Tours – 928-65-5594
      Roger Ekis’ Antelope Canyon Tours – 928-645-9102
      Adventurous Antelope Canyon Photo Tours – 928-380-1874
      Antelope Canyon Navajo Tours – 928-698-3384
      Good luck and congratulations on your kids’ graduation!
      Alley 🙂

  5. Hi, I am planning to visit the upper antelope canyon during the end of this june and I was wondering if we are able to use our cellphone cameras to take pictures with no intention of selling the pictures or anything. Everything is kind of confusing and I would like to make sure we can get on with our plan or make a new one. thank you!

    1. Hi Sindy,
      You are perfectly fine to take pictures in Antelope Canyon with your cellphone camera! Your tour guide can even provide tips on how to get the best shots.
      Hope that helps. Good luck and safe travels,
      Alley 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *