**At the present time (June 2022), no commercial photography or film permits are being issued by the Navajo Nation due to COVID-19. When the Navajo Nation reopens at 100% we will update this page accordingly.**
The quick definition of commercial is that you plan to sell the photo or film footage. You can be a professional photographer and shoot Antelope Canyon with no intention of selling the photographs.
Here’s an excerpt from the Navajo Nation Parks & Recreation page:
Requests for commercial filming and photography in areas under the authority of the Navajo Parks and Recreation Department are received regularly. The purpose of these Commercial Filming and Photography Policy and Procedures is to establish guidelines to be followed in the application for, review, approval/disapproval, of commercial filming and photography permits.
Navajo Parks and Recreation Department shall allow commercial filming and photography in tribal parks, recreation areas, and monument only in a manner consistent with these policies and procedures.
Navajo Parks and Recreation Department, has the authority to issue filming permits in tribal park areas pursuant to Government Services Committee resolution GSCJY-18-04, Section IV. J.
These policies and procedures apply within tribal parks, recreation areas, monuments, and other areas under the authority and supervision of the Navajo Parks and Recreation Department. The policy and procedures also apply specifically to filming and photography undertaken for commercial purposes, i.e. for financial gain or public display and exhibition.
The following processing and monitoring fees will be assessed upon approval of your application:
- $100 Processing Fee for All Applications that have all the required information for one (1) person/entity. ($25 additional Processing Fee that involves requests for additional documentation or revisions.)
- $200 Processing Fee for Weddings, Film companies or Photography workshops that involve four (4) or more people.
- $500 Processing Fee for all “After-the-Fact” requests for photography permits. (Permits should be acquired before photo is taken).
- $250 Land Usage Fee for all areas. (NN Code, §17.)
- Staff/Monitoring Fees:
1-3 days: $50/day/staff/on-site
4+ days: $100/day/staff/on-site
- Other fees for vehicles, backcountry site use, and a security deposit may apply.
Interested parties should fill out this Official Application for Filming/Special Use Permit or Application for Commercial Photography Permit and submit it to the Navajo Nation Department of Parks & Recreation for final approval.